Wednesday, January 23, 2008

My Quest For a World of Healthy Breasts

Hey [enter your name],

On May 3 - 4, I'll spend 48 hours decked out in pink from head to toe. If you've been to my petite abode, you know that my penchant for all hues rosy is unparalleled. During those same two days, I'll be walking non-stop (except for a tent-style snooze session) for 39 miles as part of the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer. The things one will do to acquire another pink shirt. Tell me about it.

Along with a steady gait and a consistently colored outfit, my participation will signify that I succeeded in raising $1,800 for breast cancer research. That sum is three (3!) times the amount that sits in my recently opened savings account, leading me to thoughts conveyed by words like, "Yowsa," "Yikes," "Oh boy," and my personal favorite, "Geez Louise."

I hate asking for favors, but I hate cancer more. I feel extremely guilty if I participate in the first part of the Need a Penny/Take a Penny – Have a Penny/Leave a Penny shenanigans at the checkout line. I sucked as a Girl Scout (big time) because I didn't want to ask anyone to buy my cookies (barely earned the cookie badge).

Yeah, I'll need to stall a bit before I ask for your
fiscal support. Keep reading.

I'll walk in memory of my Grandma Irene who died from breast cancer when I was five. She used to take me strawberry picking, but then I somehow developed an allergy to strawberries (no longer an issue). There were hives and lots of itching. Say no more, right?

I'll walk in support of my Great Aunt Barbara, 74, who beat breast cancer nine years ago and is on her way to beating it a second time.

I'll walk in awe of my Aunt Fran, 46, who recently had a prophylactic bilateral mastectomy, reconstructive surgery, and now has the most desirable chest in the family. For sure.

I'll walk for anyone you know who's been affected by breast cancer. Send me their name and I'll include it on the snazzy, one-of-a-kind t-shirt I plan on making for the walk (with the aid of someone who knows how to sew).

I'll walk for our moms, our sisters, our aunts, our friends, myself and you (estrogen carriers reading this) - women who we hope will live incredible, cancer-free lives.

For this, I am humbly asking for donations to help me reach $1,800 (I feel faint). You can
donate here, and you'll get a receipt for tax filing purposes.

One more favor (I know, the nerve)…please pass this e-mail on to your friends and family, especially those with deep (very deep) pockets. This isn't about me (or my quest for well-defined calves); it's about collectively working toward a resolution to a problem that is indiscriminate with whom it affects.

If you have a friend who owns a restaurant/store and would serve as a corporate sponsor or be willing to donate a percentage of the proceeds from one day/night's earnings to my
fundraising goal, please help make the connection. If these friends are chemically balanced men with clean records and perfect teeth, please also send my photo and mention that I'm single. I'm just kidding. (No I'm not). Yes I am. (Am I?)

Thank you (big time),
Jackie

No comments: