Thursday, March 27, 2008

Sittin’ Itchy

How long it seems since I was sittin’ pretty. Pretty doesn’t feel within arms reach when you’re encased in wool. It’s nearly April and I’m wearing wool – still.

I ache for an opportunity to move to a locale further South. Right around the Equator sounds ideal.

En route to a yoga class, I stopped at The Mayflower Hotel (made famous by a loser of a former governor) to use their loo. There’s something you should know about me; I thoroughly enjoy using bathrooms in fancy hotels.

When I spent a semester abroad in Prague, I used the loo at The Four Seasons daily, sometimes twice in a period of 24 hours. Those were the days. You just have to know where the bathroom is (straight past the ornate statue in the lobby, down the two-tiered staircase, and make a sharp – and I mean sharp - left) and walk with a purpose.

I entered The Mayflower Hotel with my hot pink yoga mat slung on my back and sneakers on my feet (enabling me to walk to work and sometimes back home, too.) The lobby was bustling with people who seemed important, elegant and educated. There was a man wearing a bow tie. I knew my destination and prayed for an invisibility cloak.

“Ho hum, ho hum, I don’t belong here,” I thought to myself. Story of my life.

Lately, I don’t know where I belong. I’m approaching the age of 25 in four months and am doing some serious thinking to surely frazzle myself enough to provoke the ominous quarter-life crises.


So yeah, I’m feeling itchy on the inside and out.

1 comment:

please sir said...

When I visited London I did the same thing - go into fancy hotels and use their bathrooms! So amusing. I'm 25 going on 26 and still going through quarterlife crisis. This time in my life is a very weird stage, and all my friends are going through the same feelings. You are not alone.