Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Cucumber Samaritan

Having spent the weekend in NYC (about which I want to blog, but my mom says I can’t. How many of you have a mom who worries about who reads your blog and what they’ll think? Mom, I have less than 20 subscribers. Please. To be continued, readers.), I was in desperate need of groceries so off to Giant (gross) I went.

As I was making the ten minute walk back to my one-room show, I noticed that my 14-inch seedless cucumber had poked through the plastic grocery bag. Story of my life. I know, I know…I’m a criminal in the eyes of green do-ers. I should have taken the paper bag, which likely would have put up a stronger fight in the face of an overpriced cucumber.

It was also raining. Two heavy PLASTIC grocery bags (Nope, separate bags. I don’t double-bag. I’m not that much of a foe to our planet.) and an umbrella – it was like being pulled in two directions. The down force was stronger.

“Excuse me,” I heard someone say from behind. I scooted to the left side of the sidewalk, as I was walking straight down the middle. Selfish with my stride, I guess.

Then again, “Excuse me, you dropped this. Your bag ripped,” and there appeared a rather good looking guy with an arm outstretched toward me and my seedless cucumber in his hand.

“Oh godddd…thank you,” I said as I reached out to grab the other end of the seedless cucumber.

And there we stood, hand-in-hand (via an overpriced seedless cucumber) gazing at each other (was he Ethiopian?) for a brief moment before he let go and walked ahead of me.

Now I had to manage two slightly less heavy (minus the cuke) PLASTIC grocery bags, an umbrella, and a stray seedless cucumber in the crook of my arm. I laughed to myself but out loud, so any passerby coming toward me must have thought that my imaginary friend (or cucumber) and I were having a jolly good time together.

We were, but it would have been more fun if the cucumber Samaritan had stuck around.

No comments: