Sunday, August 12, 2007

Strawberry Locks Forever

My AOL screen name, conceived of soon after becoming a double-digit youngster, includes the word “blondy” to capture the natural hair pigmentation of my locks from childhood through high school. As soon as I turned 18, my roots decided to darken and I turned to foil. Yeah. Yeah, I did.

The past six years have included experimentation with highlights – some thin and subtle and others chunky and side-stepping boldness.

New job, new hair, new beginnings – my motto for the summer of 2007.

Poignant, no?

I’ve been contemplating a rendezvous between my crown and shades of red for some time now (my grandpa only dates red-haired women), and I thought that with a new job on my horizon (and a failing dating life), I was ready to go ruddy.

My grandpa often proposed marriage to me as a kid.

“What do you say we go to Vegas, Jackie baby?”

I’d laugh and say that I wasn’t ready and he was silly. Boy was I a dumbass.

Had I known the dark shades of dating, I would have enthusiastically accepted and changed my hair color way sooner.

And we’re red…

Four days after my hair changed color (via an obscene amount of money), my grandpa was to arrive for a visit (damn I plan well). We were to spend my birthday together - worthwhile usage of the ever-prized PTO. Grandpa didn’t feel well and cancelled his visit.

“Mom, wait a second…did you tell him I’m a red head (strawberry blonde) now??”

I don’t get it; I’m finally ready to commit and he gets cold feet. Story of my life.

I want to say that the switch from blonde to a shade o’ red or any darker hue is indicative of maturity, good character, individuality, a step on the salon pathway less traveled – and that the switch from dark hair to blonde is easy, customary, exuding the familiarity of the red/white/blue striped rotating cylinder typical of barber shop storefronts. (How soon one forgets where she came from.)

People with strawberry pigmented locks are mysterious creatures poised for creativity and capable of anything – attempting to seduce their own grandfather, publishing books, leaving footprints all over the world, and helping others to find peace in their own circumstances (contemplating an MSW one day) – or at least I hope so (I’ll let you know in a while.)

No comments: